Shukokai is derived from one of the original styles of Karate, Shito Ryu, with roots that date back over three hundred years to Okinawa. Using Shito Ryu as a foundation for his style, Sensei Kimura spent the last forty years of his life developing a technique that was second to none, and he perfected the ability to attack with devastating power and speed.
Students of Kimura Shukokai learn how to use the biggest muscles of the body to generate this power and speed, and when the technique is mastered, they will be able to overcome their opponents with what Sensei Kimura referred to as "One hit, one kill." Along with this tremendous ability comes the responsibility of control: students must practice with control in mind, and safety is paramount in the practice, both in and out of the dojo.
Shukokai, above all, is an education in body mechanics, and students find their ability in other sports improves greatly through this practice. Whether it is golf, soccer, tennis or gymnastics, understanding how to use the entire body to create force is the core of all athletic endeavors, and nowhere is this point more dramatically revealed than when learning the proper technique to throw a punch or kick. Anyone can fight, but fighting efficiently is the groundwork on which Kimura Shukokai is based. As students learn how to use the body with this efficiency and understand the importance of self-control, they have gained invaluable knowledge that can be applied to every aspect of their lives.
The Kimura Philosophy of teaching the art of Shukokai is based on a series of stages which plan for and follow a student's physical and spiritual progress during their development.
- FRUSTRATION sends people searching for a new way to deal with the challenges of their lives. Whether it is a child who needs discipline and motivation or an adult who lacks focus, they come to Shukokai seeking a new perspective: a different way of looking at the world. Training here not only offers an entirely new way to make your body work for you, it presents a unique way to change your outlook as well, to overcome the frustration that might be keeping you stagnant in other areas of your life.
- GOALS must be set to help end frustration. Setting goals recognizes a desire to improve oneself. They should be high enough to challenge, but at the same time be within reach. Shukokai provides the perfect balance of physical and mental challenge, as well as a series of goals that are attainable through hard work and discipline.
- The proper PLAN toward these Goals is essential. A proven, well-rounded system of training is the foundation of all instruction at Tenafly Shukokai Karate.
- Through WORK, ACTION and PROGRESS one truly begins to see and feel the benefits of Shukokai training, and those around you will notice a difference as well. The results of the sweat and effort become clear: the child will begin to show respect, exhibit discipline and display an increase in motivation. The adult will begin to gain control and focus energy responsibly.
- At this stage, the most important benefit of Shukokai is achieved: SELF CONFIDENCE. Not just in Karate...but in all areas of your life as well. You'll possess the skills to be confident, the power to be effective and the wisdom to do what is right.
- This is what the student has worked for: SUCCESS. But the journey is far from over. New goals will be set, new plans will be made, and continued work, action and progress will lead to greater success.
Start your training today, and learn how Shukokai will make a positive difference in your life: it will never be the same.